Sunday, June 10, 2012

Athens Day Two

Man I slept hard last night! We got up about 8 to make it down for breakfast and to the Acropolis before it became too hot.
We buy our tickets and make our way up the hill... That's one thing about Greece you always seem to be going uphill and the steps are just wide enough to wear you have to step fully on each before going up to the next. Anyways, we stopped and took some breath taking photos from lookout points and continued up to the Parthenon. I'm not going to lie instead of paying for my own tour guide, I would occasionally just stop and listen to a guide talking about the history or significance of different structures. It is crazy to think that this is where it all started, that this is where the start of democracy started. We got separated, but after making our way around the top of the acropolis, we found each other at the exit. Found a lion, poor thing had lost part of its face after all these years- wont be sending that one to the aglai.
We decided to follow the people and they led us to a hill that was important for something I am sure of, but to be honest have no idea. We do have a picture in front of it, our trade off for taking some fellow American's photo. We then decided to skip the mass of children on the path up the hill and went down the other path- fail. This started what seemed to be an hour walk searching for the museum. After finally finding it, it was 100 yards past the mass of school children. The lead up to the brand new museum was very modern. The building design and the openings that one could walk across showing archeological finds. It's a bit daunting, but I am a history nerd and enjoyed seeing them. We went inside with the impression that the ticket purchased that morning allowed us entrance into the museum, nope that would be another €12. No thanks. So we perused the gift show, found a book for Nini and decided to head back to a cafe for lunch. After lunch we walked the across from the cafe for some gifts to take back. Man did we hit the jackpot, we all found things ;for family and friends, but one of the show was a specialty food store and with wonderful organic local delicacies.
After we had our full of shopping we dropped our findings off and headed out to find Kendra some clothes since her luggage still hasn't arrived. Man alive I could of spent the rest of my money in some of the stores. After living in Stpehenville for four years, finding stores that aren't walmart, Jcp, or rue21, one tends to go a little crazy. I was good and denied myself buying a fedora which looked amazing, might I add. Once Kendra's shopping was done we rode the Happy Train, yeah I know, interesting name for a "train" that back home would be more likely found at a kids carnival then on the streets of Athens. I swear if I had put my hand (not even arm, just hand) out of the open car I would of had my had taken off by the car next to us.
We skipped out early off the happy bus when we found it stopped by the shops we were at earlier that day and found this quaint authentic homes rule Greek restaurant. Musaca and the fresh fried calamari was amazing, I am going to have to learn how to make it back home. They also had this Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic and olive oil dip that is so good you want to put it on everything.
After dinner we returned to the patio upstairs our hostel and took a shot of usuo- disgusting! It taste like black liquorish, the only positive is I can say I tried it, but man it's awful.
The trip is going pretty well, there have been a couple squabbles but three girls that have had a lack I sleep is bound to find some issues. Well it's time for bed, we have to be at the pier at 6:30 aka leave at 6am.
Until next time, night!

No comments:

Post a Comment